YouTube has the largest video library on the whole internet and it's not surprising if you spend time every day. But do you know that in addition to watching videos on YouTube website, you can also play YouTube videos on VLC? Yes, the versatile VLC media player allows you to play video in any format. In this way, you can customize the video effects and interface to your liking and are not limited to what YouTube has to offer.
Why play YouTube videos on VLC?
There is no problem watching videos directly on YouTube. Many ads and videos automatically play on their own and have annoying 'recommended'channels and annoying comments.
With VLC you can safely watch your favorite videos. You can also adjust the video size, video and audio effects that YouTube doesn't offer. Finally, you can also add subtitle files to your video.
Play YouTube video over network stream
Follow the steps below to play YouTube video on VLC.
1. Visit the YouTube site in your browser. Click the video you want to watch.
2. Copy the YouTube video URL. It should look like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iFLpKYGr9zI
3. Open VLC.
4. Click "Media-> Open Network Stream".
5. Paste the YouTube video URL into the "Network URL" field. Click Play and the video will play on VLC.
6. For advanced options, check the "Show more options" box. Here you can configure how long VLC caches the video before playing. You can also configure the start and end time of the video.
Drag and drop
An easier way to quickly play YouTube videos on VLC is by highlighting the YouTube video URL and dragging it to VLC. The video plays automatically in VLC.
If you are currently playing a video, dragging and dropping a new URL will add it to the playlist and overwrite the video you are viewing.
Copy and paste
To add a YouTube video to the playlist without overwriting the existing playing video, copy the YouTube video URL, click VLC, then Ctrl + V (or Cmd + V on macOS). A popup with the
option is displayed.
If the above fails
Google is always tweaking the YouTube algorithm to prevent third-party applications from accessing the YouTube library. If you can't play YouTube video with “play network stream” method, you need to update VLC to the latest version.
Or you can install YouTube extension for VLC.
1. Go to https://raw.githubusercontent.com/videolan/vlc/master/share/lua/playlist/youtube.lua (or right-click on this link and choose “Save Link As”) .
2. Copy all the code and paste it into a text editor. Save the file as "youtube.luac" (see the extra "c" in the file extension) in the VLC lua directory.
For all users
- Windows: Program file VideoLANVLCluaplaylist
- macOS: /Applications/VLC.app/Contents/MacOS/share/lua/playlist/
- Linux: / usr / lib / vlc / lua / playlist / or / usr / share / vlc / lua / playlist /
For current user
- Windows: % APPDATA% vlcluaplaylist
- macOS : / Users /% your_name% / Library / Application Support / org.videolan.vlc / lua / playlist /
- Linux: ~ / .local / share / vlc / lua / playlist /
Restart VLC and you can play YouTube videos. I need to update VLC (or script) whenever I can't play YouTube videos.
There are several options you can configure for better video quality streaming.
1. In VLC go to "Tools->Preferences".
2. Click 'All' in the 'Show settings'section at the bottom left. More advanced configuration options are displayed.
3. Scroll down to “Input / Codecs” in the left pane and select it.
4. In the right pane, you can scroll down until the "Preferred Video Resolution" option appears. You can choose the quality of the video to stream. The default is "highest available," but you can set it to force play in full HD (1080p), HD (720p), SD (576 or 480 lines) or low or very low definitions.
For VLC on Android  The VLC Android app comes with a "stream" option to play YouTube videos. However, at the time of this writing, the "stream" function does not work. We hope that future updates will fix this.
You can watch YouTube videos on VLC using the above method. It also works for YouTube alternatives like Vimeo, Dailymotion and Twitch. Finally, you can also play YouTube playlists by following the steps here.
Image Credit: VLC Media Player Logo on Mobile Phone of DepositPhotos
Was this article helpful?