Microsoft 365 is designed to help organizations digitally transform collaboration in the workplace. Many of the clients I work with use virtualization, and are always looking for ways to reduce costs and improve the user experience. To help, we acquired FSLogix last November and today I am pleased to announce four new capabilities to further enhance the user experience in virtualized environments:
- FSLogix technology, which improves the performance of Office 365 ProPlus in multi-user virtual environments, is now available at no additional cost to Microsoft 365 customers.
- Windows Server 2019 will add support for OneDrive Files On-Demand in the coming months.
- Office 365 ProPlus, our flagship Office experience, will be compatible with Windows Server 2019.
- And we have added new capabilities to Outlook, OneDrive and Microsoft Teams in Office 365 ProPlus to improve the user experience in a virtualized environment.
Get the same reliable experience with Office applications in any environment with FSLogix
FSLogix container technology is now fully integrated with Office applications in virtual environments. This technology improves the speed and reliability of virtualized Office applications to feel like the experience of using Office applications on a dedicated machine. FSLogix containers work in virtualized environments, including those provided by Microsoft, Citrix, and VMWare. This technology is now included at no additional charge if you are licensed to any of the following Microsoft solutions:
- Microsoft 365 E3 / E5 / A3 / A5 / Student Use Benefits / F1 / Business
- Windows 10 Enterprise E3 / E5
- Windows 10 Education A3 / A5
- Windows 10 VDA per user
- Client Access License (CAL) and Subscriber Access License (SAL)
Learn more about FSLogix.
Easily access files on demand from OneDrive with Windows Server 2019
When using files on demand from OneDrive, people can access all of their files in OneDrive while only downloading the ones they are using to save space in the hard drive of your devices. In the coming months, Windows Server 2019 will support OneDrive Files On-Demand for users of virtualized Office applications. This support will combine quick access to the files that users love, with the reduction of user profile disk storage requirements and the cost savings that businesses need. Learn more about how to take advantage of this new capability with Windows Server 2019.
Run Office 365 ProPlus on Windows Server 2019
While Office 365 ProPlus provides the best Windows 10 running experience, we know that some of you trust Windows Server to provide virtual desktop services for its users. For those who still need to migrate from Windows Server 2008 / R2 before support ends in January 2020, or from Windows Server 2012 / R2 before the end of October 2020 for connectivity to Office 365 data, I'm happy to share it we will be compatible with Office 365 ProPlus running on Windows Server 2019. This allows you to take advantage of the On-Demand Files capabilities included in Windows Server 2019 that I mentioned earlier, and take advantage of the latest Windows Server platform.
Get a better experience with Office applications in virtual environments
There are also significant improvements in the virtualization experience for several applications in Office 365, including Outlook, OneDrive, and Teams.
- Outlook cache mode improves improvements to the way people run Outlook on virtual desktops faster access to email and calendars:
- The Sync inbox before the calendar means that people get faster access to email so they can start working immediately.
- Reduces the number of folders that are synchronized by default, and an administrator option to reduce the calendar synchronization window; both help the synchronizations to complete faster.
- OneDrive now has a per-machine installation option, allowing people to share a single installation of the OneDrive application while maintaining their own individual folders and files as if they were on your own device.
- Teams also has one installation per machine to chat and collaborate. In the coming months, we will offer calls and meetings in teams through the optimization of audio / video media in collaboration with Citrix. We are also planning additional equipment enhancements, including improved application deployment, support for Windows Virtual Desktop, performance improvements, and optimized caching for non-persistent configurations.
- Windows Search The index per user allows each user The profile will keep its own search index, so that the search is quick and individualized.
If virtualization is an important part of your IT strategy, we believe you will love these new capabilities. If you are interested in evaluating the improvements to the Office 365 applications that we announced today in your own virtual environment, visit the Microsoft Download Center.